Injuries on Municipal Property

acceladmin   March 26, 2018   Comments Off on Injuries on Municipal Property

When an individual slips and falls on another person’s property, they may suffer serious injuries that can impact them for a lifetime. If the injured party wishes to do so, they may want to consider bringing a lawsuit against the party that failed to keep their property safe. Sometimes, the property owner in an injury case is a private citizen while other times, it is a much more complicated matter because the property is owned by a municipality.

While many components of a personal injury case involving a municipality are similar to those involving private citizens, such as needing to fulfill the burden of proof, there are some major differences as well. If an injured party wishes to bring a lawsuit against a municipality, they will be required to file a Notice of Claim within 90 days of the date of the accident. The Notice of Claim is only required when bringing a lawsuit against a municipality and is not required when bringing a case against a private owner. In addition, if the injured party fails to serve a Notice of Claim, they may not be able to bring a case, which can cause an individual to miss out on significant financial recovery.

If you have been injured in an accident, contact us today.

If you are in need of experienced legal counsel in regards to a personal injury or workers’ compensation case in New York City, please contact The Law Offices of Jonathan D. Sands and we would be happy to assist you.