What Should I Do If I Have Been Injured While Working On A Construction Project?

acceladmin   August 23, 2016   Comments Off on What Should I Do If I Have Been Injured While Working On A Construction Project?

Someone injured on a construction project could have very serious injuries. The law involving what remedies that person has is different if it is a commercial project or a residential project. Focusing on commercial projects, it’s called a gravity-related accident. Something falls on the person, or they fall from an elevation, or something involving elevation happens in their accident, they have a very good claim against the building owner and the general contractor by law under the New York state labor law. If there are other violations of what’s called the industrial code, those can be used to make sure that the injured worker is compensated for the injuries.

What is important to know, also, is that if you are injured by the negligence of your employer or by a co-employee, you cannot sue them. Even if you are injured on a construction site, in a situation like that, you will not be able to make a claim. If there is some other trade working on the job site – for example, if you’re a plumber, and a carpenter trade, or a steam fitter, or an iron worker is responsible for what happens to you, you can then bring a lawsuit or a claim against those trades and the job that were involved. Just remember, you are not going to be able to bring a claim against your own employer.

If you are in need of legal counsel in regards to a personal injury in New York, please contact The Law Offices of Jonathan D. Sands and we would be happy to assist you.